Wednesday 1 May 2013

876 Miles

The question I'm asing myself this week is, is it possible to run from one end of the country to the other? From Lands End to John O'Groats. 876 miles...
Surprisingly, the questions in my head aren't about the running. I'm mostly asking myself how to carry sleeping supplies, how much food could I afford to carry every day, where would I buy the food from, would I sleep in hotels, what if I got lost, what if there's a lack of footpaths, do I ask my friends for support.
When my brain does turn to how to run 876 miles (plus miles for error, taking footpaths rather than motorways, and diversions to go through towns and cities) it takes a more logical, rather than emotional, view on the idea... How many miles would I have to run each day? 50 perhaps? Then it might take a minimum of 18 days. Almost 3 weeks running every day - could I handle that?

Still, the thought of joining that elite club is incredibly attractive. The journey of self discovery would no doubt be pretty inspiring. And the experiences and the sights would never be forgotten.
The planning, on the other hand, doesn't sound like it would be fun.



Final thought, read this: The Unlikely Pilgramage of Harold Fry

No comments:

Post a Comment