Monday 27 May 2013

Edinburgh

5 down!
(7 to go...)
This weekend was the Edinburgh Marathon. It was my slowest time so far this year, with 3 hours 51 minutes 31 seconds - a full 31 minutes slower than I ran my PB in Paris, but one of the most scenic. The route followed the coast for the majority of the run, looping through a small wood at 18 miles before heading back to the finish. It is very similar to the Brighton marathon route actually, which I ran 2 years ago.
On the downside I didn't feel too prepared for this marathon. While I'd told myself I should go easy on this run anyway (considering I'm almost halfway through the year and have the South Downs Marathon a fortnight later), an aching right knee and tender feet meant this was enforced. Because accomodation was so expensive we (Kate and I) also decided to get an overnight coach to Edinburgh. Running a marathon can be hard, but after a bad nights very interrupted sleep sitting upright on a coach, it can be a little tougher!
I'm not overly concerned by this - I was very aware that some marathons would be quick, and some would be slow. If I take anything from Edinburgh, it's that I need to sleep well, and prepare well (mentally and physically) before a marathon.
I'm much more excited about my next marathon, being that it's a trail run along the South Downs, and imagine I'll bounce back well from this weekend.


As an afterthought; I've been watching a lot of Barefoot Ted YouTube videos this week. If you've read Born to Run this will mean something to you, and if not, in a nutshell, he's one of the most prolific barefoot runners in the world. He's worth checking out, and if you like what you see then you could always head out to the Barefoot Connections Conference in late June.
And despite not wanting to make this post unnecessarily long - if you don't know who Kilian Journet is, then please search his name in YouTube too! He's an incredibly talented ultra runner, winning the Zegama Skyrunner marathon in Northern Spain this weekend. He's a real inspiration to watch running.

No comments:

Post a Comment