Saturday 25 May 2013

A Week of 2 Halves, and 38.44

38.44.
My time at last weekends Wheathampstead 10k! And, a personal best, personal record, record time - however you want to call it.
It was a great race, and a great day. I ran well - with a 10 second slower middle mile (during the ascending part of the course), but otherwise relatively consistent pacing. The sun was out, I had about 10 friends also running, and we followed it up with a BBQ. Perfect.
I feel that I can attribute my PB to a number of things, but first and foremost I believe it was largely in my mind. I know this route; I know the hills; I know the finish line; and I know what to expect. I think the 'homecoming' aspect of the run motivated me more than the training I'd achieved - in fact I didn't feel like my training had gone that well!
Overall I was a little surprised to achieve a PB. I ran a 10k a little over a month ago in Regents Park - a flat course - and was 25 seconds slower there than I was last weekend. My lasting feeling, as a result, is a satisfied warm feeling, very content with my new record.

The title of this post relates to the latter part of this week; we were burgled on Thursday night.
Aside from the feelings of invasion, and the monetary loss, the burglary is relevant to this blog because they stole both my Garmin watch and my iPod shuffle. I loved that Garmin, and had only owned it since Christmas. Since then I've used it on average about 8 or 9 times a week, with my cycling and running back and forth to work and my long weekend runs. I will miss that Garmin!

No comments:

Post a Comment