Saturday 18 May 2013

Wheathampstead 10k


I am very excited! Tomorrow is the Wheathampstead 10k, and I'm really looking forward to hitting home soil to try and beat my PB!
...whether I'll do this or not, I'm not entirely sure however! My training this week has been a bit hit and miss. On the plus side I ran my fastest run to work to date (5.3 km in 21 minutes 30 seconds); but on the down side I got quite drunk on Wednesday and Thursday and didn't get great sleep - neither particularly conducive to a PB. I tried to promise myself I'd be good, but the combination of a new starter on my team at work, and a gig meant that my plan went out of the window!
Whether I beat my PB or not, I know it's going to be a great race. I love the scenery of Wheathampstead, and the history of the race for me makes it equally important. They've changed the course this year to (hopefully) make it a better event. In previous years there's been an annoying little loop of the playing fields when you're within site of the finish. It can be quite demoralising when you think you're done! I think the new course could work well, but it will mean running the last 3km along the same track as the first - and I'm not normally a fan of out and back routes for this reason. It will also mean we don't run along the river, a particularly pleasant part of previous years. However - the additional part of the course at halfway will see us running through bluebell woods, so I'm sure this will make up for it!

To top off what should be a great race (PB or otherwise) I've managed to convince about 15 people to join the race, and will be BBQing back at Chez Ben afterwards. What a great way to spend a Sunday!


No comments:

Post a Comment